Cemeteries

19th century

Charles Rayner Freeman (of Stowupland Hall)  bought part of Pitman’s Meadow (T.M346 – owner George Faulkner, occupier Edwin Pyman) as land for Trinity Church and its churchyard in 1842. he later gifted additional land for the school but also to enlage the churchyard  in 1865{ECA}.

By the early 1900’s the Holy Trinity churchyard was becoming full. In April 1903 H F Harwood proposed that the Parish Council ‘take into consideration the necessity of providing an additional burial ground’. Although Mr Harwood had bought Stowupland Hall in the 1870’s and owned other land in Stowupland his place of residence was  Tuddenham Hall.

By January 1904 a sub-committee was  considering two possible sites:

Spoonmans Field – where today’s (2021) allotments are

or

part of a Crown farm meadow owned by Mr Harwood, but in the early 1900’s was occupied by Edgar Abbott)

By August 1904, the Crown Farm meadow was deemed ‘very suitable’, possibly because of ite proximity o the church.. Matters proceeded with H.E. Wilkes instructed to deal with the conveyancing and the approval of local residents was sought.

On 14th December 1904, ‘a very wet day’, Her Majesty’s Inspector visited the site to see five holes which had been dug, each eight feet deep. They ‘appeared satisfactory’. in some parishes, very stony ground would not have been suitable for grave-digging: here it seems likely that the main concern was that the holes might fill with water!

Conveyancing of one acre of Barn meadow was completed on 28th June 1905. The land was sold by Henry F Harwood for C35. Many practicalities followed: the need for iron fencing, oak gates, the planting of trees and shrubs, preparation of a table of fees, employment of a grave digger (Charles Catchpole, Margaret’s father), who would also maintain the burial ground, the purchase of a bier and of a building to house tools and the bier.T he proposal for a wooden building was rejected in favour of brick. Tenders were requested for one of white and red brick. Tenders by Mr.  Meakings were accepted for the fencing, gates and building.

Burials were to commence next to the road with the first being in the Autumn of 1909 (date of death 23rd November) {NL}