Elm Farm, corner of Mill Street and Stowupland Road (B1115)
During its long life the property has had various names which reflect its ownership. The earliest record refers to Dego farm, Hodgkinson’s map of the late 18th century gives us Dagger House and Bryants map of Suffolk dated 1824/5 shows the name as Degar Farm (ECA).
The tithe apportionments tell us that in 1840 the land (tm 561) was known as Rust’s Farm being owned by John Edgar Rust and occupied by Wm Beard. By 1869 the PO directory calls it The Elms.
In 1987 Elm Farmhouse was grade 2 listed. Parts of the property date back to 1327. The rear, timber framed, wattle and daub with reed and sedge thatched roof dating from the late 1400’s. And a Georgian extension of clay lump, constructed in the 1820’s. Thatching required 11 tonnes of reed and sedge.
In the fifteenth century the property was owned by the De Gonyy’s (of Norman origin). In 1466 Thomas Dego left the estate to his son John Dego. Hollingsworth (p108) tells us that in 1488 there was a John Kebill be Degowyys, in 1490 John Degow, and in 1407 John Kebyll of Degoe
In 1820 a Georgian style extension was added to the older thatched house.
1844 (Whites) Richard & William Beard.
In 1869 the PO directory calls it The Elms, Tomas Cuthbert (ECA).
Kellys 1891/2: Charles Simpson is farmer at Elm farm.
By 1904 Howard Diaper is owner and occupier. In May, 1936 Mr & Mrs Diaper died. Mrs Elizabeth A Diaper was the daughter of George Burt (see photos in farmhouses and Farms)
In 1932 Thomas Carter (Ena Carter’s father-in-law) had bought the land. Thomas was living in Stowupland Hall (as well as owning Gipping farm) whilst his son Myhill lived at Elm farm. Jack Carter (Myhill’s brother) would often help with the farming when his brother’s allergies made it difficult.
In 1937 T Carter sold the land to W.G.Hopgood, though T M Carter continues as occupier (1938 Kelllys Directory -Thomas Myhill Carter) till 1946 when the Keeling families moved in. in the time of the carter’s the much larger property had been a mixed arable and dairy farm but the Keeling’s ran it as a market garden, selling produce at a stall in Stowmarket.
In 1947 we have this description of Elm Farm from the Stowmarket Notebook.
In 1967 when the Dickenson’s bought the house with 2 ½ acres for £5, 500. The house had been divided into 5 bedsits and a separate family home. The Dickenson’s converted it back into 2 dwellings, retaining its separate identities of the earlier is timber framed,
By 1976 David Hopgood shared the land with Allard & Bloom and the Dickenson lived in the house till selling it in 2018,.
In 1970’s a compulsory purchase order was made to buy the land behind Elm farm to build Stowupland High School. This plan was shelved and the school subsequently build behind the The Crown
A plot of land alongside Mill Street was sold for 4 houses to be built. An earlier application for house building in Mill Street had been turned down because of concerns that this would result in an increase in traffic joining Stowupland Road (now B1115) and concerns over the safety of children attempting to cross the road to reach school.