Whilst many of our older properties were occupied by tenant farmers who made their living from farming, some were not. Some were shops or other business premises and information on these maybe found on other pages.
Homes along Back Road
A strip of land separating Gipping Lane from Thrandstone’s Barn Field (tm300) and was orchard, further along the lane (towards Columbine hall) were 3 cottages occupied by James Diaper, Samuel Diaper and George Diaper. Although the orchard was owned by Stonham feoffees James and Samuel are named as occupiers. In the 1851 census Samuel was farmer of 20 acres