Primary Education in Stowupland

“The poor though desirous, are without the means of instruction, ” {ECA: 1818 Select Committee on Education etc, Stowupland). Prior to the 19th century Parliamentary Acts on Education, children’s academic learning,  especially for the ‘poor’, was strongly associated with religious education.

Before 1936 Stowupland’s border with Stowmarket was the River Gipping so  many Stowupland children attended schools in Stowmarket. However the focus here is on the school that became Freeman Community Primary school. instruction.

Freeman Community Primary School.

The school has been renamed (e.g. national School, Council School, County Primary school and now Freeman’s) and extended several times but behind the roadside facade  the original school remains.

Learn more about the staff and teachers

Learn more about some school children’s activities

Click on 19th century  for more details

but here are some key dates from the school’s first 50 years..

 In 1818,  The Select Committee on Education of the Poor  noted for  Stowupland that  ‘ The poor though desirous , are without the means of instruction but the children attend Stowmarket national School.’

By 1833  Stowupland had  ‘one Sunday School ‘

By 1846/7 a church inquiry reported, ‘ there is a schoolroom wanted in Stowupland.’ {ECA}

1865 /8 – a parcel of land in ‘Pitman’s Field’ (tm 346) was given by Freeman family for building a  Parish school for Poor children .

1871 – One National School  for 41 boys & 47 girls – (space for 64 only).

1874 Rev. Long, Vicar of Stowupland claimed that the National School (i.e number of school children attending) was larger than the Dept allowed {ECA}

1875 ‘The Holy scriptures are read daily from 9.10 to 9.30

1875, State Education Act, led to the  formation of a School Board of  5 members.

1876, extension to the school. and teachers residence added at cost of £950.

1880 it was enlarged again.

1885/6 it was renamed the  National School

1889,  another extension 

1895 the school board resolved that the Bible should be read in the school for 15 minutes each day.

1896/7 another classroom was added

1900the Drill Sergeant took Standards 3 to 6 in the playground.

A very brief general history of education as it affected Stowupland

1870 School Boards were set up to build and manage schools in areas where they were needed.Religious teaching was to be ‘non denominational’

1875 The Stowupland and Creeting St Peter School Board was formed of 5 members with T.E.Carter as clerk.

1880 school attendance was made compulsary for 5 to 10 year olds, by 1899 attendance wasmade compulsory up to the age of 12.

1902 School ‘Boards’ were abolished and control of  schoosl was placed in the hands of Local Education Authorities.

1944 free secondary school education was made available to all, in either Grammar, Secondary Modern or Technical schools.

Click on 20th century for more details

Here are some key dates;

1901 Arthur Gillet Bramhall was head master and the school name was Stowupland Council School

1922, Arthur Gillet Bramhill  retired as head master replaced by Mr Napthine . H.R. Harwoord was chairman of the Board of managers.

Space for 216 children at Public Elementary School for Stowupland and Creeting St Peter.

1939 the school had to make arrangements to accommodate evacuees from Ilford schools.

1949. concerns were raised over the state of the school sewers.

 Questions were raised over  transport to and from School.

In the mid 1950’s Mr R.A.Wright took over from Miss Kinch as head and in 1964 the school was significantly remodelled with an extension changing the road side view of the school.

map showing Stowupland primary school and Holy Trinity church

1964, extension to the school on land provided by Charles Freeman, school later known as Stowupland County Primary.

1983 renamed as Freeman County Primary School.

1985 planning permission was required in July 1985 for the retention of a temporary classroom unit.