Croft Farm and farmhouse
1940’s sketch of Maltings Cottages or Croft Farmhouse, not to be confused with ‘The Croft’ which is further along the road and still a family home.
It was demolished in 1967, having been sold in 1964 by Mr F.C. Cubbitt. It was sold with 57 acres, a barn and some other Crown Farm buildings. .The house was subsequently demolished possibly by burning and other houses built. Mr Cubbitt had moved into a bungalow near Columbine Bungalows.
1938 – Fred Cubbitt, Kelly’s directory decribes him as a farmer
1931 to 1933 Jane and Ziba Boulton, after her husband’s death Jane lived ther till 1936
19th century – from Census reports we know the property was owned by The Pyman family’.
- 1874 through to 1891, it Sarah Pyman is named and then to 1916 ‘the Misses Pyman’
- 1864 Robert Pyman is named as running the post office and being a tailor
- In 1855 Malting Farm was owned and occupied by Mrs Pyman
- 1851 the census names James Wolsey age 66 as a pauper, and Robt Pyman age 38 as a tailor
– tm 419 -John Pyman is owner with Howard Baldwin, a poulterer, as occupier.
– tm 417 owner John Pyman and James Wolsy & others as occupiers
tm423 behind the The Croft and Croft farm is Pond field
tm 430 or Maltings Lane runs past Maltings Cottage/farm giving access to Park Farm.