Civil parish councils were formed in England under the Local Government Act of 1894. They took over the secular duties that had previously been in the care of church vestry committees, so called because they met in the vestry or scaristy of the parish church. One duty they became resonsible for was the burial of the dead (NL)
In the 1960’s Community Councils were set up to work alongside Parish Councils, their focus was village social life. The chair of Stowupland Community Council was Fred Welham and the vice chair was Sidney Scarlett. A local lottery ‘Ernie’ was started to raise funds.
In 1970 Stowupland Community Council was merged with the Village Hall committee
Sample from 1991 Parish Council Meeting (MBA)