The Millers Arms

In 1815 Thomas Bauley was the owner of the windmill on Thorney Green. In 1842 the Stowupland churchwardens paid him for supplying wine, he is still listed as a miller/beer retailer in Kelly’s directory for 1846, however he died in 1844 aged 63 and his son Dennis continued as miller/beer retailer until his sudden death in 1848 aged just 40. A second son George took over and ran the business until 1864 when a Charles Warner is listed as miller/beerhouse keeper, the beerhouse had a reputation for out of hours drinking and in 1872 Charles & his wife Martha were charged for selling beer “out of time” the case was however dismissed, but their licence was refused soon afterwards.