Thrandiston, Thrandestones, Threadstone or Thradstone's

mapThe land where Trinity Meadows now stands was formerly arable farmland and meadows owned by Earl Stonham Feoffees (a charity trust). 

The earliest mention of Thrandeston that Neil Langridge has found is for a Willmo (William) de Thrandiston in the 1327 Subsidy Returns for Thorney. Did William or his family came from Thrandeston near Diss or from Thrandiston Farm in Thorney?  He paid 18 pennies (small silver coins) for the land per annum.

A century later in the  Earl Stonham parish records for 1427 he found – Edmund Cuttyng of Stowmarket gave a tenement called Thrandeston in Thorney and Saxton hamlet of Stow with its associated messuage lands, pastures, woods, tenements, rents, services and appurtenances to Thomas Forbescher, John Austen and John Sewale and their heirs. It was witnessed by john Hotet esq, Robert Byll, John Ady, William hammond, John Brysete,, John Baldry, John Dego, and others

Subsequent deeds from 1476/7 record that a whole area of 4 fields was called Thrandestones  ‘and a barn, and 20a. of land called Thradstone’s, in Thorney and Saxton, and the hamlet of Stowmarket, settled in the 15th of King Edward IV., in trust for use and behoof of the inhabitants of this town’… (Earl Stonham?)[1]

[1] A Settlement of the Suffolk Traveller, Augustine Page (p207)

 
 

mapBy the 19th century Thrandiston Farm or Thradstone barn area consisted of 23 acres which were leased out  by Earl Stonham Trust to local cottagers who could hire an acre to grow their own crops, keep a pig or two and /or hens so they could provide their own food and/or fodder for their livestock. This section of a 1886 map shows  the location of Thrandeston Barn.

In 1924 George Carter bought the land for £500.00.  He continued to rent out 1 acre allotments but increasingly farmers wanted more than a 1 acre unit. By 1975 with increasing rents and lack of demand the Allotment Committee recommended the area be handed back to the Carter family (George had died in 1962) and all tenancies ceased at Michaelmas 1976.

My thanks to Neil Langridge and Marion Harris for their notes