Museum of East Anglian Life (MEAL)
Although the Museum is in Stowmarket, Jack and Ena Carter from Stowupland were very involved in its planning. Jack believed that is was very important that knowledge of traditional farming methods should be conserved. He thought that agricultural implements, both large and small should be shown in use so that Suffolk’s rich historical heritage could be brought to life, especially for the young.
It is thanks to the Longe sisters of Abbotts Hall that the museum found a home in Stowmarket. Ena did a lot of research into the history of Abbotts Hall and when it first opened in 1957 it was known as The Abbott’s Hall Museum of Rural Life of East Anglia.
The Suffolk Photographic Survey was housed for a time at the Museum and Ena was involved in this important recording of Suffolk’s past.