19th century, key dates

In 1818,  The Select Committee on Education of the Poor  noted for  Stowupland (pop. 720) that  ‘ The poor though desirous , are without the means of instruction but the children attend Stowmarket national School.’ By 1833 with a population of 626 Stowupland had  one Sunday School (to which a lending library is attached) of 66 males &51 females is supported by private charity, & connected with Independant Dissenters.’

By 1846/7 a church inquiry reported, ‘ there is a schoolroom wanted in Stowupland. A larger salary is needed for the master & mistress [of Stowmarket] which being obtained a higher class of teachers would be had, which is much needed in this town; but unfortunately, no help can be expected from local resources.‘ {ECA}

1865 /8 – a parcel of land in ‘Pitman’s Field’ (tm 346) was given by Mary, Ellen, Spencer & William Freeman on which a a Parish school for Poor children was to be built, with money donated by Ellen and Mary.  The curriculum was to be overseen by ‘the minister and church wardens’.

1871 – One national school (held on premises secured by deeds with operating managers0 – 41 boys & 47 girls – (space for 64 only).

1874 Rev. Long, Vicar of Stowupland claimed that the National School was larger than the Dept allowed, he said the lobby (14′ 9″ by 8′ was used as a classroom. The Dept pointed out ‘that the dimensions of the school are still only suitable for for 32 while 65 places needed’ . In the following month the majourity decision of the Vestry was to adopt a school board. and the following month a meeting of ratepapers passed a resolution for form the Board with Creeting St peter aggreeing to form part of the boeard since their children attended Stowupland’s national School {ECA}

1875 ‘The Holy scriptures are read daily from 9.10 to 9.30 No exception has yet been made or desired concerning this.’

1875, State Education Act, and formation of School Board (on Feb 8th with 5 members, T.E.Carter as clerk)

1876, extension to the school. and teachers residence added at cost of £950 , for 200 children. there was an average attendance of 175.

1880 it was enlarged again.

1885/6 it was renamed the  National School

1889,  another extension to the school. Earliest log book dated 15th July 1889, it was an old=fashioned leather book with a lock and key which had to be broken open as the key was missing

1895 the school board resolved that the Bible should be read in the school for 15 minutes each day.

1896/7 another classroom was added

1900the Drill Sergeant took Standards 3 to 6 in the playground.