Raising funds and building StowuplandVillage Hall

The idea of the village having a purpose build village hall was raised in 1925. Indoor Public meetings at that time took place in either

  • the Elementary school hall
  • the BB Hut (an old WW1 gun-site hut that had  stood on Creeting St Peter’s Green but had been dismantled and repurposed by the Boys Brigade in 1921. It stood till 1979 near the Crown till it was demolished and burnt).
  • or the Iron Room or Parish Rooms stood in the grounds of the first vicarage.

Following the ending of WW2 the village started toraise funds to build a village hall.

Work finally started on building our village hall in 1954. To be eligible for government funding the work had to be completed by voluntary labour, but in 2 years the village were able to celebrate the opening of its new hall, see images of the opening.

A press report on the opening of the hall estimated that the hall had cost £4,000 to build.

Since 1956 there have been many extensions added onto the original hall

1979 at the Annual Parish meeting (25/5/1979) ‘ In her village hall report Mrs Bloom pointed out that the funds of the Community Council, the Social Committee and the Jubilee Committee had been paid into the Extension fund of the Village Hall.’