Windmills

The first known record of a windmill in Stowupland is from 1323 when an inquest into the manorial holdings of Richard de Amoundeville, Lord of the Manor of Thorney Hall includes “a wind-mill, which is worth nothing at present because it is ruined”

THORNEY GREEN MILL – John Thomas Bauley Ayliffe and his son Georgem millers at Thorney Green Mill.

{ECA: Sarah Ann, widow of J.T.B Ayliffe; dies 21/2/1925 inher  88th year. Their daughter Annie died 19/2/1954 aged 71. taken from Bacton WI’s Churchyeard Inscriptions 1981}

This mill was situated on the Green between The Retreat and the main road, the mill house still stands. The first miller was a Charles Todd who had been granted licence to enclose a piece of land from Thorney Green in 1798 whereon a windmill had lately been erected. The mill was put up for auction in 1802 and it is described as a “new built post windmill with one pair of stones”. The post mill was blown down in November 1832 and probably then rebuilt as a tower mill.

Later millers were – Thomas Bauley, Dennis Bauley, George Bauley, Charles Warner, Thomas Ayliffe.

A beer house was run from the mill house from about 1842 to 1872, it however acquired a reputation for after-hours drinking and lost it’s licence.

John Thomas Bauley Ayliffe was miller here in the 1870s and 80s, his father Richard had run The Bakers Arms beerhouse in Fairfield Hill in Stowmarket and the on-site bakery there but had earlier been a miller and baker in Woolpit around 1820.

The mill was demolished about 1919.

WINDMILL NEAR THORNEY GREEN ROAD

Fuller Felgate’s mill from 1839 tithe map

This was a post mill standing on the east side of Thorney Green Road. The miller here was Fuller Felgate, his father also Fuller Felgate possibly milling here from as early as 1819. In 1861 the mill was auctioned at The Pickerel being described as “an excellent post mill with roundhouse, two pair of French burr stones …. with stable and other building adjoning” it was bought by George Bauley the miller at the Thorney Green windmill and pulled down around 1866. The millers house still stands.

WINDMILL IN MILL LANE
It has been naturally assumed from the name that there was a windmill in Mill Lane, and if anyone has any evidence of this we would look forward to hearing it. However it may be that the name referred to the fact that the lane originally lead to a watermill on the Stowupland bank of the river Gipping. Nowadays the lane is cut by the A14 and continues on the other side to Creeting Road however old maps show that this way continued down to the Gipping. This continuation carried on as a footpath which is now largely lost since the development of Cedars Park estate. {NL}

June 26th 1802, Ipswich Journal: ‘Charles Todd of Stowupland …having agreed to assign over his estate & effects  … for the benefit of his creditors’

3 July 1802, Ipswich Journal: ‘To Be Sold  by Auction…A new Built post windmill with one pair of stones, and all her going gears complete…situated upon Thorney Green in the parish of Stowupland…and late in occupation of Chas Todd’.

14th Jan 1804,Ipswich Journal:’to be sold by Private Contract A post windmill with all going gears together with a new built messyage or tenement thereto belonging …now in ythe occupation of Chas.Todd.’ {ECA}

Aug 3rd 1861, Ipswich JournalPOST WINDMILL & message lately occupied by Fuller felgate, deceased. Message used as adouble tenement…John HAMMOND & William Head.

1862 Bought by George Bauley & mill pulled down by 1867. The double tenenmet were later known Poole’s Cottages.

1867, June 1st. Ipswich Journal carried a Sale notice for ‘A capital Tower Windmill & Beerhouse & eleven other cottages and late belonging to Mr E.G. Bauley, deceased. By direction of his executors’..{ECA adds conjecture that did tower mill replace postmill after 1861?} 

In 1980 the road end of Mill house (nearer the road& the old beer street) ‘had roof lifeted to extend first floor rooms(planning application 4/4/79)

The in 1985, Mr Woodley appplied to erect and later extend a detached house  adjoining Mill House on Thorney Green {ECA}

In the 19th century we know of 2 windmills that stood to the East of Saxham Street  in the Manor of Earl Stonham.

. In 1824 they were being deposed of  by order of the executors of the late William Symonds. By  1831 Francis Symonds was retiring as miller and by 1838 the tithe map shows William Gostling to be miller for Stonham.  William Gostling is the ooccupier of  the Driftway and fields between Saxham street and Earl Stonham (1st, 2nd and 3rd Stonham fields). These lands were owned by Earl Stonham Feoffees.