Mill Street, Stowupland
It is thought to be so named because it was the way from Stowupland down to the water mill on the River Gipping. It might be the road/way that led from ‘The Lord’s Mansion’ )Thorney Hall) to Thorney Green which could have been known as Marriotts Road.
In 17757 William Fenton is named as having a tenement at the entrance to Mill street.
This map shows the full extent of Mill Street before the A14 made it a no through road.
At the time of the tithe apportionments properties and fields were allocated numbers, for the Mill Street area these were between 500 and 600 (not the numbers on the adjacent map). Where documents in our archives include the tithe number we are able to be certain about the historical record, however this is not always possible. We hope in the future to be able to give a more complete picture.
From the East Anglian Daily Times of 24th November 1900 we have an advert for ‘Two freehold messuages in 4 tenements’, situated in Mill Street with gardens in the front, outhouses and an enclosure of ‘excellent arable land’ at he rear. It was currently in the occupation of Mrs Allard, D. Garnham, and 2 others with rents amounting to £25 10s per annum. At present we are unsure which modern property this relates to.
During the 18th century land here in Mill Street was bought by the Feoffees of Bramford parish to provide for their poor.
One of the oldest properties in Stowupland, and has many different names. For instance in 1448 it was known as Dego but by the 18th century it had become Dagger House
This included a Thatched Cottage.
One of our older properties with parts dating back to the 16th century. In the 20th century it was farmed with Millgreen Farm
This property no longer stands. The name has had various spellings
This may have been known as Tudor Farmhouse or even Mill Street farm.
Properties for which we have very little information.