Post and Communicating
Our first post boxes were located at the corner of Mill Street and on facing The Green
1864 the post office was run by Robert Pyman (Harrod 1864 and White 1874). He was also a tailor living in one of the Malthouse Cottages which later was known as Croft farmhouse. Malthouse cottages were at the end of Park Farm Drive.
According to White’s directory 1891/2 ‘ the Post office is with Mr Dennis Wilden, letters were to be addressed via Stowmarket’
By 1908 Dennis Fredeick Wilden as well as being a postmaster is a shoemaker and sexton. In 1906 Kelly’s directory refers to him as a bootmaker rather than a shoemaker.
In 1901 Aubrey Alfred Robinson at the age of 15 was living in Saxham Street and working as a telegraph messenger. He enlisted in the 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment and at the age of 21 he was was killed on 11 April 1917 . He has no know grave but is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.
During WW1 Stowupland had 3 post boxes with collections 7 days a week. twice a day on Monday through to Saturday but only once a day on Sundays, at 9:30 a.m.
By 1927 the Gyford’s in Saxham Street were one of a handful of Stowupland people to have a telephone. They allowed local people to use it, T N Stowmarket 263
1927 Kelly’s Directory lists Reeve D. Wilden as boot maker and post office, phone number T N Stowmarket 145. . In 1937 the PO is in the front room of the right hand cottage of what was known in the 1970’s as Bay Cottage. Though Ena Carter noted around 1930 the post office was then in the house now called Boxtree Cottage (centre) This is along the A1120 between the school and Barn Cottages
The old Post Officewas the home of Mr & Mrs Wilding. Mrs Wilding ran the post office and Mr Wilding used to make shoes and leather work.
Accodring to Ena Carter in 1970’s the PO premises were known as Reeve Wilden’s cobbler’s shop, this was a small house , just one up and one down.
In May 1985 planning permission was sought to demolish a single story lean-to and erect a 2-storey extension for residential accommodation
it was claimed that moving the post office from Church Road to Walnut Tree Farm, Rendall Lane would offer ‘improved facilities and longer opening’ as part of a ‘proram to modernise and transform the post office network.’
A few years later in 2018 when Allards farm shop closed residemts had to rely on a mobile post office for 2 hours once a week. With the increasing use of the internet for buying and selling the postal service is in great demand. Unfortunately the PO van has to use the Village Hall WiFi to log transactions, but this was not designed for access from the car park so the van is limited as to where it can park up.