St Mary and St Peter at Stowmarket

Holy Trinity, Stowupland was built in the 1840’s, but documents suggest there was a previous church dedicated to St Peter.  However confusion may arise because in Edward II reign Stowmarket had 2 churches next to each other  St Peter which was for Stowupland and Gipping, with St Mary’s for Stowmarket. The smaller church fell into disrepair and was demolished by 1546. Stowuplanders then used the north door and the north aisle and retained their own church wardens and registers