Grange Farm (tm 157), Saxham Street

At the present time (2023) it is unclear when the name Grange Farm was applied to this property.The names of the fields mentioned in the tithe apportionments (1839/40) are useful indicators of past owners of the surrounding farmland.

photo of a house

1844 (Whites) occupier is Chas Bloomfield law, he is also Stowupland’s Relieving Officer . The owner is Samuel Holland


A sketch map showing the fields around Grange Farm that are menrioned in the 1839/40 tithe apportionaments. Mrs Scarlett 153 refers to Sidney’s mother who lived in Grange Cottage in to the 1960’s not in 1840, though the property was part of the Grange farm estate.

hand written list
Fields of Grange Farm as recorded in the Tithe Apportionments

From a press cutting from 6th September 1856, as noted by Ena Carter “A serious accident occurred at Stowupland on Monday last to William Chapman, in the employ of Mr C.Laws, farmer…age 60 …and been on the farm for 30 years…doubtful if he will recover.”

In 1897 Samuel Cobbold was occupier of Grange Farm (owner Samuel Holland), in 1921 he becomes owner.

Samuel Holland had owned the property since 1826 when the occupier was John Roper. Between 1840 and 1874 the occupier was Charles Bloomfield Law.

In 1874 Henry Scotchmer was the occupier  for 10 years. 

From the Ipswich Journal, 19th Feb 1842 – “married 12th inst Stowmarket church by Rev A. G.H Hollingsworth vicar Mr Henry Scotchmere of Gipping to Susannah eldest daughter of Mr Charles Law of Stowuplamd” (ECA)

From 1885 John William Howard was the occupier until the Cobbold’s arrived, first as occupiers in 1897 becomming owners in 1921.


Postcard sent by Samuel to his sister Betsy in 1916
WW1 Registration Document
Samuel Cobbold
group of people from 1890
A butter making class held at Grange Farm in 1890

We are grateful to Margaret Catchpole’s family for saving this photo of a butter making class that was hold at Grange Farm in 1890. The gentleman to the left, in the apron, is John Blenkoe Howard. To his right on the back row is Alice Barnard (m. Forsdyke, see Crown Inn). The lady in front of them is Mrs Mary J. Carter.

In 1926, Samuel Cobbold added Bradwell Croft to his farmlands.